Thursday

DIY Lego Tray


Tired of Legos scattered all over the floor?

So was I!  My son loves Legos and I'm glad he likes to play with them because they bring out his creativity but I hate having to clean them up.  Although I liked to think he was responsible and picked them all up when he was done playing with them in reality I was finding them throughout his room and in the Roomba. 

It was because of this that I decided to create a Lego tray that not only gave him a designated space to play with his Legos but also served as storage for all the tiny pieces.  Another great feature to this tray is that when he is done playing he doesn't have to take the cities apart; he just pushes the tray under the bed with everything still built on it.

Here's what you need:
  • Plywood
  • 1x4s
  • Finishing nails
  • Hammer
  • Paint
  • Lego Baseplates
  • E6000


I started by cutting a piece of plywood to the size I wanted the overall tray and storage area.  Then I painted it with green spray paint.  The plywood will be covered by Lego baseplates but the green shows through the cracks a little so that's why I painted it the same color as the baseplates.


I then cut 1x4s to go around the outside of the plywood and spray painted them.  I hate using regular paint and paintbrushes so spray paint is just easier for me.


I used finishing nails to attach the 1x4s to the plywood then I painted the bit of plywood still showing.



Next I glued Lego baseplates to the plywood with E6000.


I used Lego pieces to make sure the baseplates were lined up correctly.  I kept those on until the glue was dry.


Lastly I nailed a 1x4 cut to size to the inside of the tray to create a storage area for my son's Legos.



I made this tray pretty big because my son has tons of Legos and this gives him a lot of room to create his Lego cities.  I ended up putting handles on the side because he can just slip it under his bed and the handles help him pull it back out when he is ready to play with it again.  

Feel free to ask any questions or leave a comment about how you organize Legos!  

No comments:

Post a Comment