Thursday

DIY Faux Floating Shelves


After living in our home for about a year now I decided to start working on smaller projects for the kids' rooms. One of those projects was hanging shelves in my daughter's room. I didn't want to use the usual metal shelf brackets because I don't like that look so I decided to use L brackets. 



This is what the wall looked like before the shelves. We just used screws that were already there when we moved in to hang stuff and it just doesn't look good.



I painted a few pieces of wood that my husband cut to size. It took two coats of white. You could get wood that is thicker and make the shelves look a bit more grand but we didn't want to spend the extra money for thicker wood because our daughter doesn't care about that. 


I meticulously measured where I wanted the shelves and the L brackets. Then my husband hung them. He screwed the brackets into the shelves themselves for added support. 


Now the way my daughter decorated the shelves is not my taste but it frees up so much space because her trinkets are displayed and off her dresser and end table.

Am I the only one that wishes my children had the same decorating taste that I do?

Feel free to ask any questions or leave a comment about how you create your own faux floating shelves!






1 comment:

  1. They are wonderful looking shelves. So simple to make and very effective in terms of space creation. Great Job! I have floating shelves pretty much anywhere i can put them in my house. My next project is to build floating shelves around the tv on my living room wall. Going to be a tough project i think. I got the idea from Top9Home.com Wish me luck!!

    ReplyDelete