Thursday

Use a Gutter as a Window Box


You all know how excited I get about a cheap DIY project.  I wanted window boxes under the windows that are in the front of the house.  Originally I was going to have my other half build them out of wood but then they would be heavy.  I wanted a lighter option that didn't require too much drilling into the vinyl siding.  This was the best option I came up with.  I bought a 16ft piece of gutter. two left caps and two right caps, as well as 4 gutter brackets.  These were all found in the same aisle at Menards.



My husband cut the gutter to the size of the window.  He used two of the brackets above for each gutter to connect it to the house.  He put the caps on each end of the gutter.



I filled each gutter with expanding insulating foam.  Each one took a whole bottle of it.  Once it dried I stuck fake flowers in it.




The whole project cost about $75 with $48 of that being the fake flowers.  I could have saved money had I bought the fake flowers from Dollar Tree however I bought them from Hobby Lobby and they were kind of expensive now that I think about it.  Oh well!  I think the end result is pretty.  You don't even notice they are gutters!



No comments:

Post a Comment