Wednesday

Homemade Butter and Buttermilk


Making homemade butter and buttermilk is so easy!

I get 5 sticks of butter and 2 cups of buttermilk anytime I use this recipe.

All you need is heavy whipping cream and an electric mixer.  I buy the larger cartons at Walmart for about $4.50 each.  I pour the heavy whipping cream in the electric mixer and cover it with a towel.  You definitely want to cover it or it will splatter EVERYWHERE!  Trust me on this one!

I slowly move the speed up to high then I let it mix for right about 15 minutes, sometimes a minute less or a minute more.  You know it's done when the butter is completely separated from the buttermilk.



At this point you start shaping the butter into sticks.  Once they are the shape you want them run them quickly under very cold water as to help them keep their shape. 

This is also the time you can choose to make a flavored butter.  My son likes for me to take about a sticks amount and put into a small glass bowl and mix in Splenda and cinnamon.  He calls it "dessert butter" and spreads it on toast.  I put a lid on it and store it in the refrigerator.


The liquid at the bottom of the bowl is the buttermilk.  It is so great to use in recipes.  I substitute buttermilk for milk often in recipes.



I store the buttermilk in a mason jar in the refrigerator and I put the sticks of butter in glass butter dishes or cover them in aluminum foil and keep them in the refrigerator.

To buy 4 sticks of unsalted butter at Walmart costs $4.  This recipe costs $4.50 for 5 sticks of butter plus 2 cups of buttermilk.

Not only is it cheaper to make your own butter but it is fresh, you can flavor it however you want and you get fresh buttermilk!

Give this a try and comment to let me know if you love making homemade butter and buttermilk as much as I do! 



No comments:

Post a Comment