Wednesday

Add Countertop Space in an RV


I'm just so excited about this project. This summer I am going to be spending a lot of time in my RV so I have been doing lots of little things in it to organize it or modify it. This particular project was simple and makes a big difference. 

Originally I was going to mount a big heavy duty cutting board to flip up but when I went to Walmart to buy one it was around $20. It was heavy and I could have cut things right on it. But as I was walking through the store I saw a wooden folding tray table for about $9. It was a similar size as the cutting board but it wasn't as heavy. I chose to buy the table although I can't cut anything right on it but then I also don't have to see scratches on the flip up counter space from using it as a cutting board. 


I used a screwdriver and removed the legs of the table. 



Here's three pictures of the end of the countertop that I was mounting the flip up table to. I just didn't have enough counter space but I also didn't want to take up more room in the RV with a stand or table. 




I purchased two folding shelf brackets at Menards for about $5 each. 


The instructions are simple and detailed on the back but in case the ones you buy don't have great instructions you can look at the below picture. 


I mounted the brackets to the side of the cabinet low enough that the table top can sit on top but not too low because I wanted it to be just under the lip of the existing countertop. When mounting you MUST ensure the brackets are level and the same distance from the top. This is important otherwise the table top won't fold down flush with the side of the cabinet. I learned this the hard way. 


Flip open the brackets and screw the table top on from the bottom. 


I get a little more countertop space when I need it but I can fold it down when I need more walking space or while we are traveling. 














No comments:

Post a Comment